Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Thank you, Manpuku!

I am new to tongue.  I wouldn’t say I’m a tongue virgin, but I’ve only had it once before and wouldn’t consider myself experienced.  The first time I had tongue, it didn’t leave me wanting more.  I convinced myself to give it one more shot and I am so happy I did!  I didn’t just have any tongue the second time around.  Oh no.  I went all the way!  Kobe beef tongue, you are amazing!!


There is a little place in a tiny strip mall in Costa Mesa that I would have never dreamed had such amazing food.  The sign says, “Manpuku Tokyo BBQ Dining” and I’ll be honest, if a friend hadn’t suggested we go there, I may never have tried it!  I highly recommend making a reservation because from what I hear, it’s always full. 

It was completely packed except for the table we had reserved.  To my right, it looked like a large family was enjoying a yummy meal and all of their shoes were lined up on the floor.  Thank goodness this wasn’t a requirement for me but it was nice to see this tradition in my corner of Orange County. 



We sat down and my friend ordered for us since he has been there before multiple times.  In the middle of our table was a small pit filled with square coals with holes in the middle of them and a grate on top for grilling.  My friend ordered the seaweed and lettuce salad with sesame dressing which was so full of flavor that I went to the grocery store the next day to buy all the ingredients I felt made up the dressing so I could make my own!  He also ordered the squid, Kobe beef tongue, 2 different kinds of marinated beef and chicken breast.  I wasn’t a big fan of the chicken but I think that’s only because everything else was so amazing!!  The flavor that the open coals added to the marinade and natural flavor of each dish was beyond compare!  I wish I had such a refined palette that I could pick out each ingredient they used in their marinades because it was, for me, perfection.  I am considering asking them for a part time job so I can learn this wonderful secret!




The Kobe beef tongue was by far my favorite part of the meal!  It was tender, flavorful and melted in my mouth.  It was better than any steak I’ve ever had!  It was so amazing, we ordered another round of it and would have kept ordering it had we not been so stuffed we were at the point of unbuttoning our pants! 




I absolutely recommend everyone take a look and see if they have a Japanese BBQ restaurant in their area and try as many different things on the menu that you have room in your stomach for!! And absolutely try the tongue!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment