Thursday, June 2, 2011

Really, really, really downsizing...

My fiancé and I have built quite a comfortable home here in Orange County.  We have a good sized 1 bedroom apartment with a small office, cozy dining room and comfortable living room space.  We also have a balcony where we love to barbeque and sit outside enjoying a little fresh air.  So, when my fiancé asked me to look for available apartments in NYC……..I became a little nervous.  All I kept seeing was 400 square feet or 600 square feet.  That’s less than what we currently have!  Where will all our furniture go?  How will 2 people be able to live in an apartment so small?!?

Not only are these apartments less than half the size of our current one, but they are twice the price!  What the heck?!  And I can’t find any that have a balcony!  I knew I would have to adjust to a new fast-paced culture, crowds and no longer owning a car, but I hadn’t really thought about how my home would be affected.  What can we take and what do we have to part ways with?

There won’t be any resolution to the furniture/going-crazy any time soon.  About 3 more months left and we’ll be relocated and from what I seem to be coming to terms with (poorly, I confess) is that almost every aspect of my life is about to change.  Is that something that a person can even try to prepare for?

No comments:

Post a Comment